ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: Off topic question?
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:02:49 GMT
Right, but you have to remember to do go back a level after you're done
looking.  I don't have to keep the window open.  The point is, it just
would be awfully convenient to have the explorer window right there.
Nothing that can't be worked around, of course.

I guess it's another case of Microsoft overengineering to protect the
dumb user from himself.  It's too "user-unfriendly" to have an error
message.  And the case of a user executing a command that destroys and
then recreates a folder isn't worth worrying about.  I guess we're not
the typical users.  Grr.  Oh well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank E. Weiss [mailto:frankw@well.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 4:05 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Off topic question?

I doubt you can do this in W2K. Basically, if you delete the object
(folder)
then the explorer viewer is also closed. I don't see why you have to
have
that window open. I usually keep explorer open on the desktop. Or you
can
keep explorer open one level above the dist folder.

BTW, an easy way to reproduce the problem is the type "start dist" in
the
same command shell you run ant in.

Steve Cohen wrote:

> Here's an annoyance of working with ant on Windows 2000.  It's not
ant's
> fault but I wonder if anyone has a workaround:
>
> Typically an ant project will have a "dist" directory into which the
> distribution is put.  It will also have a "clean" task which will
> typically have something like
>
> <delete dir="dist"/>
>
> If you look at this directory with Explorer,
> and then go do another build with "clean", the dist directory will be
> wiped out and Win2K will conveniently destroy the explorer window that
> was showing it.  If you want to look at it again, you have to get a
new
> explorer window with however much drilling-down is necessary.  A pain.
>
> Now, I know I could get around this by defining clean to be
> <delete>
>         <fileset dir = "dist">
> </delete>
>
> But I'd rather not do that if possible.  I'd rather find a way to tell
> Win2K not to destroy explorer windows for non-existent directories.
I'm