ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject javac task compile errors in XML format?
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:28:38 GMT
I am happily using cruiseControl to do autobuilds of a project using
ANT 1.4.1 and JDK 1.3.1 on my Linux box.  Things are good when the
build works.  They go less well when I want to see error messages.

I would really love it if it displayed the actual error messages
tossed up by javac when the compilation fails.  I can do that, if
only I could get the javac error output to show up in some kind of
xml format, as cruiseControl will run xslt on all sorts of error logs.

(I looked through the archives, as I remembered a discussion about
this, but it appeared that javac in 1.4.1 just does not put error
messages in xml form in the output.  Does 1.5?)

I am doing the javac step with:

<project name="nightlybuild" default="clean-build-debug" basedir=".">
   <property name="build.results" value="targetlogs" />
   <property name="buildcommand" value="deploy-debug"/>
   <property name="logdir" value="logs"/>

   <target name="build-one-project" depends="init, cvs-checkout"
description="Build a single project">
     <echo message="Building ${build.project}"/>
     <ant dir="${build.directory}/${build.project}"
target="${buildcommand}" output="${build.results}/${build.project}">
       <property name="logger" value="org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger"/>
       <property name="xml.file" value="${build.results}/${build.project}.xml"/>
       <property name="xml.priority" value="WARN"/>
     </ant>
   </target>

(There are a lot of missing properties - I can put them in on
request, but I suspect this is something simple.)

In a build.xml file, the compile-debug target looks like:

   <target name="compile-debug" depends="depend-debug"
description="Compile java files into class files with debug symbols">
     <!-- Compile the java code from ${src} into ${build} -->
     <javac
       debug="on"
       optimize="off"
       srcdir="${build-source}"
       destdir="${build-debug}"
       classpath="${utilclasspath}"
       excludes="${excludedFiles}"
       includes="${includedFiles}"
     />
   </target>

Note that this target says nothing about logging, so the logger
property set above should have done something.

In the targetlogs directory, I do get a plain text file with the
build information, but I do not get my javac compiler errors.

Scott