ant-user mailing list archives

From MARobert...@dstsystems.com
Subject Problem with javac dependency checking and/or output location
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:54:57 GMT
Hi!  I've just started working with Ant, and have run into a
problem with how I'm setting up my build.xml file for a
project I'm trying to get set up. First, here's my directory
structure:

netserver
  classes
    com
      dstsystems
        awd
          util
            wb
  source
    com
      dstsystems
        awd
          util
            wb

Now for the problem I'm having.  I'm trying to compile the
.java files in the com.dstsystems.awd.util package.  I can
either get it to rebuild everything, regardless if it is needed
or not, or compile just the missing .class files, but put them in
the wrong place!  Here's what I've tried:

Option 1:

<javac
    srcdir="\netserver\source"
    destdir="\netserver\classes"
    includes="com\dstsystems\awd\util" />

I've also tried putting the full path in the includes argument,
as well as apending \** and \**\*.java to it.
WIth this option, ant finds no files to build

Option 2:

<javac
    srcdir="\netserver\source\com\dstsystems\awd\util"
    destdir="\netserver\classes\com\dstsystems\awd\util" />

This option finds the files to build, and only builds the ones
that are not in the destdir.  However, it puts the resulting .class
files in:
\netserver\classes\com\dstsystems\awd\util\com\dstsystems\awd\util

Option 3:

<javac
    srcdir="\netserver\source\com\dstsystems\awd\util"
    destdir="\netserver\classes" />

This options finds the files to build, but does not find any
existing .class files.  It does not add the package name
to the destdir to find them. It does however, put the resulting
.class files in the desired directory:
\netserver\classes\com\dstsystems\awd\util

Of all the options, this is the "best", since I do at least get
everything built and placed where I want it.

Obviously, I'm missing something!  I looked at the FAQ( thats
what led me to try option 1 ) and the mailing list archives, but
haven't been able to find anything.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Marc Robertson
Staff Consultant
DST Systems, Inc