ant-user mailing list archives

From v...@trilogy.com
Subject RE: java.io.IOException: Not enough space
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:16:56 GMT
The following fact might be relevant to this issue:

        unfortunately, Sun's implementation of exec() on UNIX uses an
expensive version of fork() that makes a complete current process replica
in memory before proceeding with exec(). This will fail if the current
process is very large in memory even though the child process is going to
be much smaller. The error message is precisely "out of space", even
though this is somewhere between memory and disk space [which are the same
if you look at it through virtual memory point of view, after all].

This is a known bug on Solaris that was closed and will not be fixed.
Check out
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4227230.html

Possible workarounds include not using Runtime.exec() directly but rather
having a small deamon process hang around in parallel to your main task
and accept requests [through sockets, for example] to spawn desired
processes for you. Not very elegant but has been known to work.

Vlad.

Please respond to "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>