ant-user mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: Standardized jar manifest entries? (Re: How do you version jar files?)
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:01:22 GMT
I like this, a lot, if I had a +1 here I'd use it..
its simple
its addresses a real need
it would facilitate the production of tools to deal with the nightmare that
is .jars and the classpath

Ant could check jars against dependencies, and build the jars from scratch
only if need be.
A new tool could be produced to manage the jar collections on a machine, (an
Ant subproject?) and export the list to the classpath, only one entry for
each package-name, and that the highest version.

Of course that suggests there should be a fourth entry like

Package-stability: alpha | beta | release

so you could a) see this info, and b) decide what version should be used
based on stability.

d.

<snip>
> So how about defining a Jakarta-wide standard subset of jar manifest
> entries?  Something very simple, eg:
>
> Package-name: xalan
> Package-version: 2.2
> Package-depends: xerces, 1.4.3
>
> Then write a standard Java tool that can query any conforming jar, and
> print this info. The dependency information would allow the tool to
> recursively trace down dependencies, and print a complete list.
<snip>