ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Claassen <...@donnell.com>
Subject RE: How do you version jar files?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:53:19 GMT
Well, I guess I will add my two cents.

I just implemented what I think might turn out to be a pretty good solution.
We will have to see though.

We have one class in our project whose sole purpose is to provide this
information.  Like the example below, a String variable is assigned to
$Name$.  Methods are provided to parse this String and return the
information in different formats.

Additionally, we have a few manifest files which also have the $Name$ in
them.

So, if I am going to make a release...say 3.2 build 20, I tag all my cvs
sources with RELEASE_3_1_20.

My ant target to build a release version prompts for two things: a release
tag and a branch.  I give it the tag RELEASE_3_1_20 and the corresponding
branch tag.  It then checks out the files that need the version information
and compiles the project.  It then compiles the jars with the manifests
files which also have the $Name $ expanded.

After it is done, it checks out the files again, this time on the head of
the branch.  So when it is done building, I am back where I left off.

All my version calls in the code go to this one version class, and all the
jar files have a manifest file entry with the version information.  The
process is more or less automated, thus not relying on my memory to get all
the steps right.