ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ylan Segal" <y...@digiworks.tv>
Subject RE: How do you version jar files?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:58:27 GMT
I thought it would be a good idea to add some stuff to the manifest file so
that later it could help me debug, so I did:

	<jar jarfile="${dist.home}/dcs.jar">
		<fileset dir="${compile.to}">
			<include name="**/dcs/**/*.class"/>
			<include name="**/db/*.class"/>
			<include name="**/util/*.class"/>
		</fileset>
		<manifest>
			<attribute name="Date of Build" value="${formated.date}"/>
			<attribute name="Build OS" value="${os.name} version ${os.version} on
${os.arch}"/>
			<attribute name="Java Version" value="${ant.java.version}"/>
			<attribute name="Build Compiler" value="${build.compiler}"/>
		</manifest>
	</jar>

The problem is that after I do this, the manifest file is created as
expected, but the jar doesn't work anymore. For some reason I get Class not
found errors when trying to access classes on the jar. If I remove the
<mainfest> from the <jar> task, then the generated jar works again.
What gives? What can I put there? I read the Jar Manifest section in the Jar
File Specificationand it says:
"In all cases for all sections, attributes which are not understood are
ignored."
that is why I thought I could just use my own attributes.

Any ideas? I guess that the other thing I could do is generate a properties
file and included in the jar...

Thanks.