ant-user mailing list archives

From "Markus Kohler" <koh...@cms.tecmath.de>
Subject RE: How do you version jar files?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:36:24 GMT
Hi,

We use 4 and 1.
I don't like 3 because you cannot easily get the version number without a Java
program.
With 4 all you need is Winzip or something similiar.
4 is also very easy to implement.

If Java would have a standard for this  (I haven't found one) it would be really cool to support
this with an Ant Task.
4 also has the advantage that you can easily write generic Tools that use the versioning
information within the manifest file ( for example when upgrading components) . This is also
more difficult with 3.

The version number can be pulled from CVS (or VSS or whatever you use) . My current idea is
to get the last version label from VSS, increment it by one an if the build and the junit
tests are ok label the project with this number.

Markus