ant-user mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: Converting C / visual C++ makefiles to Ant
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:33:01 GMT
At 15:56 20/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Has anyone else decided to do this and if so, did they get enough value out
>of the excercise or was it too painful?

While Ant is designed to do the same kind of job as "make", don't make the
mistake of assuming it works the same way.

Superficially, Ant seems similar to make, but the "Ant Way" is quite different.

A key part of this is that the Ant tasks have built in smarts in a way that
make doesn't.

A quick example to illustrate (please forgive my syntax, it's been a while):

In Make you typically define a list of files that are required

    eg

    $OBJS = alpha.o beta.o gamma.o delta.o

together with a rule covering how .o files are made from .c files

    .c.o: cc $! -o $$

In Ant, you don't need to define an explicit list of files and the tasks
already know how to make .class from .java

I don't believe that you will be able to do a straight conversion from a
makefile to an Antfile.

Hope this helps,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).