ant-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Standardized jar manifest entries? (Re: How do you version jar files?)
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:02:43 GMT

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:

> Java's official versioning spec [1] seems curiously irrelevant. It talks
> about API specifications, and implementations thereof; not the sort of
> scenario most people deal with. It's primary use-case seems to be
> applets (it amuses me how Sun documents can be dated this way;)

I'm not so sure this concept is irrelevant to general purpose application
development.

* Does your application architecture expose abstractions as
  interfaces (or abstract classes)?

* Do you have more than one implementation of those abstractions?

* Do the implementations rev independently of (and probably at a faster
  rate than) the abstractions?

If so, exactly the same versioning model is quite reasonable.

Craig McClanahan