ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: javac task compile errors in XML format?
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:14:17 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Ellsworth" <scott@alodar.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 6:28 PM
Subject: javac task compile errors in XML format?

> (I looked through the archives, as I remembered a discussion about
> this, but it appeared that javac in 1.4.1 just does not put error
> messages in xml form in the output.  Does 1.5?)

<javac> does not, nor any other task for that matter, output in XML format.
Its the logger/listener responsibility to do this.  XmlLogger (currently
actually just a listener) is what does the output in XML format by receiving
build events (many from <javac>).

Try this:

    ant -listener org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger

and see if you get what you are looking for in the log.xml file generated.

>      <ant dir="${build.directory}/${build.project}"
> target="${buildcommand}" output="${build.results}/${build.project}">
>        <property name="logger" value="org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger"/>
>        <property name="xml.file"
value="${build.results}/${build.project}.xml"/>
>        <property name="xml.priority" value="WARN"/>
>      </ant>

This seems fishy to me as I don't believe (and if I'm wrong I'd love to be
corrected!) that setting a "logger" property has any effect whatsoever on
logging (nor is XmlLogger a BuildLogger currently - that will soon change I
believe).

> (There are a lot of missing properties - I can put them in on
> request, but I suspect this is something simple.)

This seems to be a CruiseControl issue.  I haven't dug into how it works,
but its very likely a BuildLogger or BuildListener being implemented and
that is probably where your desired output is being dropped.  Check in with
the CruiseControl community to find out for sure, but please report back
here when you find a solution as I'm very curious as well.  Hopefully the
logging level can be configured with CC, and maybe even additional listeners
attached, or a logger depending on how they did it.

    Erik