ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: waiting for program to finish with <exec> task
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:24:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Freeman" <Russell.Freeman@divine.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 10:45 AM
Subject: waiting for program to finish with <exec> task

> Although I'm aware <exec> does wait, it seems that when I call, say, the
> Wise install builder from the command-line, it appears to spawn no-wait
> process which means the ant script carries on even though the install isnt
> built yet. Grrr.
>
> Does anyone know of a workaround for such a scenario?
>
> Thanks,
> Russ

What is the command line for Wise Install? I'd like to know that one myself

The problem here is may be that the wise app is a win32 gui app, not a
console one, and might start differently. But I am confused about that one
now. I have spawned VB winapps and waited for them to finish successfully.
So the sub process may be the issue. And the win32 subsystem has no real
notion of a process tree, though the posix subsys does(*).

You could just sneak by by adding a <sleep> for a while which is brittle,
maybe poll for the output file changing. Otherwise, you are going to have to
change the behaviour of exec or add a new win32 launcher that waits for sub
processes to die. But that, as I hinted before, will be tricky, unless the
'Job' object in win2K makes it tractable.

steve

(*) Hey, that fairly weak MS/DOJ settlement means that we should be able to
finally find out how to write subsystems for WinNT: fancy a gnu posix
subsys?