ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Converting C / visual C++ makefiles to Ant
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:14:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennany, Jerome {AVL~Roswell}" <JEROME.DENNANY@ROCHE.COM>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 13:07
Subject: RE: Converting C / visual C++ makefiles to Ant

> I've converted one medium sized VB / C++ based project from batch files to
> ANT, using VB's and MSDEV's command line parameters.  It wasn't
particularly
> painful, and is noticeably better than plain batch files, but is not quite
> as flexible as a script based solution such as PERL.  In fact, I am
looking
> at dumping ANT and going with a custom PERL based solution  (More
scripting,
> but also more flexible).  ANT is neat, but I think its niche remains with
> Java solutions.
>
> It's just my $.02.  Your Mileage May Vary.
>
> Jerry Dennany
> Software Configuration Management
> Roche Diagnostics Corp
> Roswell, GA  USA

I didnt know VB had command line stuff, but I will take your word for it. We
use Perl for some of our processes too. There is even a runant.pl to show
you how to call ant from Perl. There are some C++ compile tasks which may be
under development, but the whole header file problem means that C++
compilation is troublesome.

Multi-language builds are always a problem, and there is no single solution
here(*). Ant is good at a) the java bits and b) deployment. If you have
better tools for the other bits, use them. Call them from ant, or call ant
from the other tools.

-Steve.

(*) ok, VS.net is promised as the single solution, and with J# and perl.net
banged on it gets close. But is it any good at deployment? Not really, not
if your deployment problems are complex.