ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ozzy Espaillat" <o...@unwiredsolutions.com>
Subject RE: Looping in ANT
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:22:39 GMT
If looping is all you need search the mailing archives for "ForEach" it was
submitted a while ago, but it never (to my knowledge) made it to the dist.

Oz

-----------------------------------
Osvaldo Espaillat
ozzy@unwiredsolutions.com
Unwired Solutions Inc.,
Your eEnterprise Solutions Company
http://www.unwiredsolutions.com
-----------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Manik Surtani [mailto:manik.surtani@silkroad.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 7:04 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Looping in ANT

Hello, all.

I have noticed a problem with ant, and that is performing loops.

If I want a set of tasks to repeat several times based on a set of
properties, the only way I can do this is using the <script> tags, and
perform the loops in javascript.

Also, it is not possible to use the <script> tags to envelope a set of
tasks to loop through, such as:

<script language="javascript">
for (i=0; i<10; i++)
{
</script>

<echo message="This is my task to be repeated" />

<script language="javascript">
}
</script>

Instead, I have to create and execute the task in Javascript, which
really takes away from the whole ANT XML build script thing.

My current J2EE build script runs almost everything in a loop, so this
means almost the entire build.xml is just Javascript!!

Is there an alternate way to do this?

Also, who is the maintainer of the <script> tasks?  I am keen to know if
such functionality (as described above) could be possible - I am
volunteering to help develop the <script> task, but I need to get more
famniliar with the task first.

Cheers,

--
Manik Surtani