ant-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Hayes" <paulmartinha...@eircom.net>
Subject installing ant - windows 98 - out of environment space
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:46:39 GMT
Hello,
        I have downloaded ant and extracted it to c:/ant on my Windows 98
PC. I am trying to run an example given in the JBoss online manual
(http://www.jboss.org/online-manual/HTML/ch01s05.html) to confirm that ant
is working correctly and I'm not having much success.
    I have also included a setup.bat in c:/ant to set java_home ;

set ANT_HOME=c:\ant
set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3

    And my path includes ant as well;

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\JDK1.3\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\ULTR
AE~1
;C:\PROGRAM FILES\MTS;C:\PROGRA~1\ULTRAE~1;C:\ANT\BIN

    I have copied the jboss example build.xml to C:/dev :

<!-- Simple Ant build script to test an Ant installation -->
<project name="TestInstall" default="run" basedir=".">

  <target name="init">
    <available file="ASimpleHelloObject.java"
property="ASimpleHelloObject"/>
  </target>

  <target name="ASimpleHelloObject" unless="ASimpleHelloObject"
depends="init">
    <echo file="ASimpleHelloObject.java">
public class ASimpleHelloObject
{
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        System.out.println("ASimpleHelloObject.main was called");
    }
}
    </echo>
    <echo message="Wrote ASimpleHelloObject.java" />
  </target>

  <target name="compile" depends="ASimpleHelloObject">
    <javac destdir="." srcdir="." debug="on" classpath=".">
        <include name="ASimpleHelloObject.java"/>
    </javac>
  </target>

  <target name="run" depends="compile">
    <java classname="ASimpleHelloObject" classpath="." />
    <echo message="Ant appears to be successfully installed" />
  </target>

</project>

When I run ant from C:\dev, I firstly get the JAVA_HOME not set warning ,
even though I set it in setup.bat mentioned above. If I set JAVA_HOME in
this directory and then run ant I get the following;

Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Out of environment space
Bad command or file name

    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm not overly familiar with
setting environment variables in DOS so if I'm making an elementary error
I'm sorry. I am able to compile java files successfully on my PC. I tried
another example Jboss build (after starting the JBoss server, with differing
results, sometimes I got the same errors as above , while on other
occassions I got the first line of expected output , followed by a DOS error
message , follwed by my machine freezing!!

    If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Paul