ant-user mailing list archives

From "Azariah Jeyakumar" <azariah.jeyaku...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: Including a common build file with common targets.
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:28:06 GMT
I forgot to address the question on how to include the common build file.

We used relative paths. The common build file was in a specific place under
the source tree and all build.xml files included this common file using
paths like "../../config/build.config.xml". We tested this on both Windows
NT and Solaris. Forward slash works on both using the standard XML parser
that comes with ant.

To my knowledge, there is no way to use an environment variable for the path
of this common file. This include mechanism is like the C preprocessor's
include. The include happens before any parsing of the xml takes place. This
implies that ant properties cannot be used in the path.

HTH
Azariah

-----Original Message-----
From: Azariah Jeyakumar
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 11:12 AM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Including a common build file with common targets.

Hi,

We had a similar situation. We had only a partial solution which I will
describe here:

The targets are split into targets that do actual work and targets that are
useful only for sequencing. For example, we had targets like:

clean - cleans
compile - compiles
jar - jars
docs - creates javadoc
build - compile and jar
rebuild - clean, compile, jar
all - clean, compile, jar, docs

The build, rebuild and all targets are sequencing targets. They are
identical in all the build files, so they are defined in the common file.
The targets that do the actual work also looked 'almost' identical but since
they were slightly different in some build.xml files, they were defined in
the individual build files. I guess some more improvising could have been
done to further factor out common code.

BTW, I believe that it is a common requirement to factor our common code
especially in large projects where several people are working on it. I have
seen suggestions like using build.properties file, but it can only factor
out properties. We need to be able to factor out everything: filesets,
targets, etc.

Thanks
Azariah