ant-user mailing list archives

From Albertus Vermeulen <Albert...@meb.co.za>
Subject RE: Including a common build file with common targets.
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:30:14 GMT
Diane,

Please excuse my ignorance if I don't quite understand all the power that
Ant provides me. I'm not sure that I follow your comments exactly but I can
explain to your why I thought that <ant> wouldn't quite work for me.

The end effect I'm trying to achieve is as follows. In any project that a
developer is coding one build.xml file should exist. I haven't mapped it yet
to exactly what it should look like in ant but probably something like:

<project name="QuoteSystem">
  <property environment="ENV"/>
  <property name="MODULE_VERSION" value="1.1.14"/

  <property name="MODULE_DEPENDENCIES" value="list of jars that this project
depends on. Used to setup classpath. This is though not a full path,
manipulation needs to happen in common.xml"/>

  .... include common file which defines all targets and rules for compiling

    idl,java,pcml (something specific in our environment), etc something to
the effect of ....
  <include ${ENV.DEVELOP_HOME}/common.xml>
</project>

As I understand, by using <ant> as was suggested to me by Jerry Li, I would
need to for each target (17 in total) have to do a replecation of the
<target>s defined in common.xml in the above build.xml. I would thus save on
not having to expose the body of the target in the above file or the
properties I need to achieve the completion of the target, but I would still
add a lot of extra targets in the build.xml file. I also seemed to
experience some difficulty in accessing properties declared in the build.xml
file within the common.xml file. This could though just be a clear case of
me not having RTFM'd enough yet. :)

Am I wrong in my understanding of how <ant> can/should be used ? Is there
some way in which I could achieve what I described above ?

Thanks in advance
Albertus