ant-user mailing list archives

From Les Hughes <leslie.hug...@rubus.com>
Subject RE: Identify which classes were created from a Java task?
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:28:48 GMT

Yep, or software config mgmnt depending on the book you read!

> Not knowing which way to turn I opted to write a task which
> performed the
> "find -newer" function and created a file (F1) based on the
> results of this.
> F1 now feeds <tar> as an includesfile.  It works, but it's
> not the most
> elegant solution!

Isn't that the "Pragmatic School of Software Engineering" - if it aint
broke....? :-)

> Patches are a feature of our development environment -
> ideally we would have
> regular builds to ensure the latest code was always made
> available, however,
> during the day this isn't always pragmatic - hence the patch!  Any
> recommendations / advice on this would be appreciated.

Few other thoughts - continuous integration
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html perhaps (not
that I've done this but others on the list have)

Other than that I'd still have a look at your SCM to see what it offers. For
example ClearCase UCM has the notion of baselined components that developers
compile against (basically a link library kind of thing). Perforce supports
labels and "what changed" kinds of queries - others may be able to help out
depending on your SCM.

Either that or I'm barking up the wrong tree :-)

Les

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=99548629804533&w=2, but the
> > > question asks how to identify the source files to compile,
> > > whereas I want to
> > > be able to identify the classes created (from javac, rmic
> or ejbc).

> > > ----------------
> > > Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.  Registered
> > > Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG.
> > > Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing
> > > Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life
> > > assurance, pensions and unit trust business.  The Marketing
> > > Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
> > > Switchboard 01422 333333.
> > >
> > > ==============================================================
> > > ================

> > ----------------
> > Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.  Registered
> > Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG.
> > Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing
> > Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life
> > assurance, pensions and unit trust business.  The Marketing
> > Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
> > Switchboard 01422 333333.

Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.  Registered Office: Trinity
Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG. Represents only the Halifax Financial
Services Marketing Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life
assurance, pensions and unit trust business.  The Marketing Group is
regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.  Switchboard 01422 333333.

==