ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Installation problem
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:33:40 GMT
--- Dhirendra Kulkarni <dkulkarni@ptc.com> wrote:
>      is it that if at all i want to customise any task then only i need
> source?. If iam using ant built in tasks with my own build.xml fie then
> i do not need source?
>
>   I did whatever u said and ran the sample build.xml u had written and
> it is successful
>
>  Now i want clearly understand this

If you're just using Ant as your build-tool, you don't need any of the Ant
source -- just put your build-process together into Ant build-files and
run 'ant' accordingly.

If you want to write a new task, you shouldn't need the Ant source, either
. You should be able to just compile your own task source-file(s), using
'ant', which will include Ant's jar-files in the classpath.

If you need to modify tasks that are already written and part of Ant,
then, yes, you'd need the source-files for those tasks you want to modify.
(But it's best to avoid having to modify Ant's tasks if at all possible,
since then you're out-of-sync with standard Ant, which will make upgrading
to new releases a bit of a pain.)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)