ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Installation problem
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:02:21 GMT
--- Dhirendra Kulkarni <dkulkarni@ptc.com> wrote:
>     Yes i want to build. iam working on PDM project in which has lot of
> configuration files and this needs to be built and deployed.

But you just want to use Ant as your build tool to build your project --
not build Ant itself, right?  That's the distinction I'm trying to make.

The only reason to build Ant itself is if you're making changes to the
source for Ant. If you just want to use Ant as your build tool, all you
need to do is install it, not build it. To install it in order to use it
as your build tool, all you need is to pick up the binary release, unpack
it, set JAVA_HOME to your Java installation, set ANT_HOME to where you
unpacked the Ant binary release file, and add ANT_HOME/bin to your PATH.
To verify the installation, create a little test "build.xml" file
(anywhere), such as:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<project default="hello">
  <target name="hello">