ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Cannot resolve symbol error
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:19:00 GMT
I'm using Ant 1.4, JDK 1.3, and jikes 1.12.

Recently, I tried using ant scripts I've created on a machine that uses the classic
compiler (javac) that comes with JDK 1.3.  The build failed with the following error
(cleaned up for readability):

    [javac] D:\dev\src\com\gfs\corp\enabling\sales\org\maint\bm\manager
                \SalesOrgManagerEJB.java:40: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class BranchRepAsgnD
    [javac] location: package descriptor
    [javac] import com.gfs.corp.customer.maint.bm.descriptor.BranchRepAsgnD;
    [javac]                                                  ^

Browsing through the archives, it appears to be a classpath problem.  We can compile the EJB
in question using the old makefiles, and we can compile them in jBuilder, and we can compile
them using jikes.  It's just javac and Ant that causes problems.  Here are the relevant snippets
from the build.xml and corresponding property file (again, formatted for readability):

adf.lib=${jars.dir}/adf.jar:${jars.dir}/adf_aux.jar
weblogic.lib=${weblogic.sp}:/
                    ${weblogic.home}/lib/weblogicaux.jar:/
                    ${weblogic.home}/classes
src.dir=d:\dev\src
debug=on
optimize=off
deprecation=on

   <target name="compile" depends="init">
      <mkdir dir="${lib.dir}"/>
      <javac srcdir="${src.dir}/${project.package}"
                  destdir="${lib.dir}"
                  debug="${debug}"
                  deprecation="${deprecation}"
                  optimize="${optimize}">