ant-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Lyon" <m...@stargus.com>
Subject FTP Task's "mkdir" action
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:30:57 GMT
All,

Maybe I am missing something here, so feel free to administer an
intellectual dope-slap if that is the case. I have been tuning up my
buildfiles to take advantage of some of Ant 1.4's new features, and I
was quite chuffed to find that the optional FTP task now supports mkdir.
However, I was subsequently kind of bummed to find that I could not use
the mkdir action to generate recursive (e.g. nested) directory
structures. For example, consider the following build.xml snippet:

		<ftp action="mkdir"
		     server="${publish.sys}"
		     userid="${publish.user}"
		     password="${publish.pass}"

remotedir="/export/home/stargus/build/workdir${build.number}/java"/>

In this example, the task fails if the directory structure
/export/home/stargus/build/workdir${build.number} does not already
exist. The obvious workaround is to code two separate tasks as follows:

		<ftp action="mkdir"
		     server="${publish.sys}"
		     userid="${publish.user}"
		     password="${publish.pass}"

remotedir="/export/home/stargus/build/workdir${build.number}"/>
		<ftp action="mkdir"
		     server="${publish.sys}"
		     userid="${publish.user}"
		     password="${publish.pass}"

remotedir="/export/home/stargus/build/workdir${build.number}/java"/>

It would be nice if mkdir could recursively generate the nested
directory structure that I publish builds to on our distribution site,
as it would save a wee bit of typing (OK, not that much in reality). In
any case, I wanted to post this thread as a sanity check. Am I using the
FTP task's "mkdir" action incorrectly, or am I being nit-picky, or both?

Cheers,

Matt