ant-user mailing list archives

From Jim White <...@pagesmiths.com>
Subject Re: How to javac *only* the .java file I am currently editting?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:34:20 GMT
At 08:41 AM 9/17/2001 +0300, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Jim White wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why this debate continues.  Did no one notice that I
> posted an
> > Ant build file that satisfies the exact request made in the original post?
>
>To pick nits, that poster *specifically* requested a method that didn't
>require tweaking the build file.
>
>Maybe he meant "no tweaking every time I want to compile a different
>file", maybe he didn't, but in the end what it amounts to is that Ant is
>not Make.

What do you mean?  The poster said explicitly that passing the name of the
file on the command line was acceptable:

At 10:57 PM 9/13/2001 -0400, Eryq wrote:
>I don't mind having to tell "ant" something like:
>
>         ant compile -class com.zeegee.Foo.class

The technique is quite general as the argument is actually a fileset
include pattern (and so can even apply to subdirectories:
"-Dfile=tld.foo.pack/**").  The only tweaking is that one must decided what
sort of source file and class file layout one wishes to use (as an example
it might have been better to show colocating the class files with the
source files, but I never use that style).

Are are you saying the complaint is that a set of "standard" build files
are not supplied with Ant?  That is quite silly and has nothing to do with
the great "Ant vs Make" capability debate but simply the inescapable fact
that Ant is brand new and has not accumulated a big set of shared build
files.  But I'm not sure that is even useful.  As my sample demonstrates,
any such files would be trivial and also entirely subject to tweaking due
to developer preference.

If that is the true nature of the objection, then the answer is to simply
wait for a tutorial or book and FAQ to be published (maybe there are some,
I haven't looked, I do recall a magazine article was published a while ago)
with some examples for new users.

jim

James P. White                 Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
IFC Exchange   *   Insanely great Java   *   http://www.ifcx.org
jim@pagesmiths.com Pagesmiths' home is http://www.pagesmiths.com