ant-user mailing list archives

From David Walend <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: very basic question
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:43:28 GMT
Josiah,

The biggest advantage we saw when we switched from make to ant was that
suddenly everyone on our team understood what the build did. And
everyone could edit it. Our team of ten depended on two high priests of
make before. If both of them were out when we needed some change in the
build, we were out of luck.

After I observed that, I've fought hard to keep the build.xml files
simple and independent. Each subproject has a simple build.xml that any
developer worth his salt can figure out. makefiles tend to grow hairy
and complex during a project, but ant's build.xml files tend to stay
simple, but increase in number.

Dave