ant-user mailing list archives

From Dan Tanner <...@dantanner.com>
Subject Re: very basic question
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:17:49 GMT
One big advantage of Ant over MAKE that our project found was the amount
of time it took to compile our system (Java/EJB).
With MAKE, it was about 15 minutes.  When we switched to Ant, it dropped
down to about 4 minutes (including EJBC compile).  We also didn't need
to maintain a .depends file in every single package anymore.  It is true
that Ant's dependency-checking isn't as mature as others; but it doesn't
really matter for anything but the largest of projects, because it's
usually still much faster to do a fresh recompile with Ant than a
incremental recompile with MAKE.  (In my experience).

I don't know the actual numbers, but it's a safe assumption that most
people who now use Ant were once MAKE users, so we've got a solid
comparison base.  Ant has grown immensely since its inception, with most
of its users currently using it in production.  Given this, it'll be
tough to find anyone on this list that thinks MAKE is better than Ant
for a typical project.