ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Seeger" <rsee...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject Re: Javascript errors
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:04:37 GMT
At 12:01 PM 9/27/01 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Robert Seeger <rseeger@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>> I guess the thing is that I'm trying to follow the previous design
>> decisions used to the makefiles, and that isn't the best way to go about
>> using Ant.
>
>There may be some design aspects that can be carried over. For me, the
>best way to convert a process from one tool to another (or even to the
>same tool) is to look first at what's ultimately actually trying to be
>accomplished, rather than focusing on the way it's currently being done,
>since it may not be optimal to begin with, even for the current tool. Once
>you know the what, you can work on the how -- and if it's with a new tool,
>then it's just a matter of looking up how this particular tool does X --
>read the docs, find examples (send mail to user lists :)

Very true. It's just a matter of balancing "time available to do it" and
"urge to do it the best way".

>> The reason for using different project names for each subpackage,
>> however, is to distinguish between them.
>
>Distinguish them for what purpose?  Do you actually reference
>${ant.project.name} in your build-files?  What would be the problem with
>distinguishing them with (eg.) a "package" property and referencing that
>instead?

To tell the truth, I don't know that I will use the "project name" anywhere
else. I think this part boils down to a matter of style. I like to try to
do things the way it first looks like they should be done, if possible.

Rob Seeger
Robert Seeger
Network Engineer
Nortel Networks