ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to javac *only* the .java file I am currently editting?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:40:07 GMT
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:57, Eryq wrote:
> Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > It cannot be done unless you are prepared to put support for this into
> > the buildfile. Typically this could be accomodated by having a new
> > target, which is only run if a property is defined. That property would
> > be set to the file name to be compiled and would be used to adjust the
> > include pattern for javac. The normal compile target would set this
> > pattern to compile all files. You would then need to configure emacs to
> > ask for the special target and pass the property specifiying the file to
> > be compiled.
>
> Ummm... given that "make" has had pattern-based targets
> for *decades*, doesn't this strike you as kind of a glaring
> omission for a tool that seeks to replace "make", and
> whose documentation talks about "make"'s shortcomings?

Ummm... given that "C/C++" has had pointers (while java doesnt)
for *decades*, doesn't this strike you as kind of a glaring
omission for a language that seeks to replace "C/C++", and
whose documentation talks about "C/C++"'s shortcomings?

> If I'm using an editor to edit a single file,
> the most typical action is to rebuild the thing I'm editting,
> particularly in the rapid compile-oops_a_typo-edit-recompile
> loop.  The second-most-typical action is to rebuild all
> files in that same directory.  Rebuilding the world
> comes in third because it takes so darn long.

A complete rebuild here (about 40 java file in this project) takes almost 5
seconds .. most of that being jvm startup time. However incremental builds
(which ant does) can take 2-3 seconds. Without JVM startup time that would be
under a second.

I can't see the killer time wait here ...

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible
is to go beyond them into the impossible."
                             -Arthur C. Clarke