ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shyam Koppikar" <vkopp...@tds.net>
Subject Re: cross-platform rsync?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:29:20 GMT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bevan Arps
  To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org ; 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
  Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 1:55 PM
  Subject: Re: cross-platform rsync?

  At 13:23 27/09/2001 +0200, Eric Smith wrote:

    My question is:  Is there a 'clean' cross-platform solution (obviously preferably based
in Java)
    for syncing files across file systems?

  Ahh - perhaps I'm missing something here.

  You say that the files are available on a Unix share - why not use the built in copy task
to do the synchronize? It includes smarts to only copy when necessary:

  From the Ant Manual, on Copy:

  "Copies a file or Fileset to a new file or directory. Files are only copied if the source
file is newer than the destination file, or when the destination file does not exist. However,
you can explicitly overwrite files with the overwrite attribute."

  I've been using this to "synch" directories and it works very quickly, only copying changed
files.

  Cheers,
  Bevan.

  --

  "Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

  Bevan Arps (bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
  Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

  This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia Pacific)  and is
intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and opinions  expressed in  this email
 are the senders  own and do not represent  the  views  and  opinions of  ACT  Financial
Systems  (Asia Pacific).