ant-user mailing list archives

From "JohnA" <john.mli...@arrizza.com>
Subject Re: what does "messages should have been provided" mean?
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:58:14 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
> It just means your compiler should have (assuming it's in any way
> reasonable) provided error messages saying what went wrong with the
> compile. This question has come up often enough to make me think we should
> probably change what Ant says -- maybe something like: "Compile failed.
> Refer to error messages provided by the compiler for more details."

I see. "Should have" as in

"I detected an error, look back in the output for messages. I don't look for them myself but
you will see some compiler errors. (If
you don't, get a new compiler.)"

and not as in

"I was looking but I didn't see any messages, did you? Man that's weird, some *messages should
have been provided*."

 :)

Thanks for clearing that up. I like either your solution, or just "Compile failed." or even
don't print anything at all. (Is there a
compiler that gives a bad return code but does not print out an accompanying  message?)

John