ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javac with dependency tracking in JDK1.3
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:29:24 GMT
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Ylan Segal <ylan@digiworks.tv> wrote:

> [javac] depend attribute is not supported by the modern compiler ...

This means that there is no -depend or -Xdepend switch for JDK 1.3's
javac.  There is nothing you can do (except using the "classic"
compiler that is still included in JDK 1.3, but no longer available in
JDK 1.4).

> I saw in the ant docs that jikes does support that, but I am not
> sure what is jikes

Yet another Java compiler.  Initially developed by IBM and then open
sourced - see
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikes/>.

Known to be faster than javac and stricter in some grey areas of the
Java language - also it has a different set of bugs than javac.

> and if I should use it or not.

Give it a try.

But even then, I guess that using the optional <depend> task will be
doing what you want much better than any -depend switch.

Stefan