ant-user mailing list archives

From Gary Shea <s...@gtsdesign.com>
Subject manual request: evaluation order within <project>
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:45:40 GMT
I have a small suggestion for the manual.  I was unable to find
mention of evaluation order for the child elements of the <project>
element.

My problem was with <taskdef> -- I didn't realize that a taskdef
anywhere in the file would actually be evaluated before any <target>
if it was not contained in a target.  Just now, while re-reading the
manual to see if I missed evaluation-order information, I saw the
<path> element which can appear as a direct child of of <project>.
Evaluation order is critical if ${...} substitutions are being used.

It might be useful to have a short paragraph near the top of "Using
Ant" defining evaluation order.  I would write it, but I don't know
enough about how evaluation works.  Sorry...

I'm really impressed by the growth of Ant.  It's getting more useful
all the time!

Thanks,

	Gary