ant-user mailing list archives

From Mikko Kurki-Suonio <max...@davisor.com>
Subject Re: multiple builds
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 05:00:47 GMT
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Steve Wells wrote:

> Is anybody out there using Ant for multiple builds, including
> sub-projects, etc?  If so what are your recommendations & other
> considerations involved?

I built a system that let's you compile arbitrarily added sub-projects
from one central build file without editing any XML. All you have to do is
drop the files in the correct place and write a short property file.

This relies on Ant's ability to traverse up the directory tree in search
of a build file.

In practice, the need to compile EJBs, WARs, taglibs etc. split the system
into five branches, and branch-to-branch jumps require some XML coding.
Something I could get rid of with <anton>, when that becomes available.

However, this is NOT simple. A few weeks went into the basic design and
upgrades and improvements have meant a lot of extra work. In fact, it's so
complicated I'm still using Ant 1.2 because I can't spare the time to
check what an upgrade might break.

//Mikko