ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: [antlist] property values and command line arguments
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:15:42 GMT
y values and command line arguments

> Target "foo" requires property value "bar".
> Property "bar" is meant to be specified through the command line.
> However, I want to provide a default value in target "init".  Is
> this valid?

You don't need to put this in an init target. Just in the project will do

<project>
  <property name="bar" value="a"

  <target name="foo">

> Is there precendence of one over the other?

Sort of. First to set the value wins.

> Would the command line value
> overwrite the default as desired?

Yes, command line goes first, followed by non-target properties, followed by
properties within targets as the targets are evaluated.

ant -Dbar=b

will result in bar have the value b. This command line precedence is one of
the motivations for immutable properties.

Conor