ant-user mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: multiple builds
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:57:35 GMT
At 11:33 15/08/2001 -0700, Steve Wells wrote:
>Is anybody out there using Ant for multiple builds, including
>sub-projects, etc?  If so what are your recommendations & other
>considerations involved?

I'm using Ant for both production and daily builds of a large number of
Delphi applications.

It works extremely well.

My recommendations would be these:

-- Keep the size of your build files down where possible
I make extensive use of AntCall which results in the Build files being
reparsed multiple times. I have successfully split the builds across over a
dozen build files (for different groups of applications).

-- Be systematic
Don't hack the files together - plan what you need and approach it in a
methodical manner. Hack & slash (as always) work for the small cases, not
for the large.

-- Refactor
If you find stuff you're repeating, look to see how you can refactor it to
reduce complexity

Hope this helps,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).