ant-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Frederick N. Brier" <fbr...@multideck.com>
Subject javac classpath element not behaving (1.4beta)
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2001 01:22:26 GMT
I am doing something that several postings have talked about, and that is 
having a dependent target build on a .jar created by a preceding target.  I 
tried to use the refid mechanism, and then use the <javac>'s <classpath> 
element to append the dist/lib path in subsequent targets.  This was so 
that the path evaluation would be delayed until that target was 
compiled.  My approach appears to be flawed however because rather than 
reference the .jar files in the path, it is rebuilding the class files and 
including them in each jar file.  I've tried to calculate the classpath 
used in the javac task and then echo it, but it is echo'ing the property 
name, not the classpath I would presume would have been stored.  Now I 
understand that this was a bug/missing feature in 1.3, and apparently has 
been added and is working in the 1.4beta.  So I downloaded the 1.4beta and 
tried it and received the same results.  And I checked that I really was 
running the 1.4beta.  Could someone please tell me what I am 
overlooking?  The beginning of the build.xml file has this:

    <path id="app.class.path">
       <pathelement location="lib/"/>
       <fileset dir="../lib">
          <include name="**/*.jar"/>
       </fileset>
    </path>

The first target looks like this and works fine:

    <property name="path.util" refid="app.class.path"/>
    <echo>${path.util}</echo>

    <javac srcdir="${src}" destdir="${build-app-util}"
       verbose="${compile.verbose}"
       debug="${compile.debug}"
       deprecation="${compile.deprecation}"
       optimize="${compile.optimize}"
       includes="com/mycompany/util/class1.java,
          com/mycompany/util/class2.java"
       classpathref="app.class.path"
    />

The first two elements are for debugging the build.xml and outputs the 
expected results:

compile-app-util:
      [echo] 
c:\dev\myapp\src\lib;c:\dev\myapp\lib\servlet.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\jboss\jmxri.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\jboss\jndi.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\jboss\jboss.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\jboss\log4j.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\jboss\jboss-jdbc_ext.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\castor-0.9.3.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\xerces.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\mm.mysql-2.0.4-bin.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\javax.jar;c:\dev\myapp\lib\struts.jar
     [javac] Compiling 2 source files to c:\dev\myapp\build\app-util


The subsequent target has the following debugging statements and javac 
task.  Note the use of the classpath element in the javac task 
element.  This should work, no?

    <property name="model-class-path">
       <classpath>
          <path refid="app.class.path"/>
       </classpath>
    </property>
    <echo>${model-class-path}</echo>

    <property name="model-dist-path">
       <classpath>
          <pathelement location="dist/lib/"/>
       </classpath>
    </property>
    <echo>${model-dist-path}</echo>

    <property name="model-path">
       <classpath>
          <pathelement location="dist/lib/"/>
          <path refid="app.class.path"/>
       </classpath>
    </property>
    <echo>${model-path}</echo>

    <javac srcdir="${src}" destdir="${build-app-model}"
       verbose="${compile.verbose}"
       debug="${compile.debug}"
       deprecation="${compile.deprecation}"
       optimize="${compile.optimize}"
       includes="com/mycompany/app/appclass1.java,
          com/mycompany/app/appclass2.java,
          com/mycompany/app/appclass3.java">
       <classpath>
          <pathelement location="dist/lib/"/>
          <path refid="app.class.path"/>
       </classpath>
    </javac>


The output is as follows:

compile-app-model:
      [echo] ${model-class-path}
      [echo] ${model-dist-path}
      [echo] ${model-path}
     [javac] Compiling 3 source files to c:\dev\myapp\build\app-model

This is where I am really confused.  Why is it echoing the ${property-name} 
instead of its value.  I have also tried the <echo 
message="${property-name}"/> syntax with the same result.


Mime
View raw message