ant-user mailing list archives

From Lauren Commons <>
Subject Re: segmentation fault
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:16:30 GMT

--- Glenn McAllister <> wrote:

> have too.  If its not a big deal for you, could you
> take five minutes to
> write up the solution to the problem so that others
> can benifit from your
> pain?

You're absolutely right; my apologies.
The problem apprently is a bug in the linux version of
the jvm.  I found it at Javasoft by searching for
"segmentation fault linux".  The first item was... the
installation notes!!  They describe a problem using
the jdk 1.3.1 with Redhat 7.0.  The problem doesn't
exist with 6.x or 7.1.  (In my original post I
indicated I use Redhat 7.1; Apparently on this machine
I have 7.0.  oops).
The work around is to run the command
"ulimit -s 2048"
before running the java commands (or Ant).
That solved the segmentation fault, though it
apparently causes other problems which I believe
result from the limited stack size.
 (in my Ant script I run a class which uses xerces to
load and parse an xml file.  When it tries to open the
xml file I get   "
java.lang.LinkageError: Class org/xml/sax/XMLReader
violated loader constraints"
Which I'm (perhaps mistakenly) thinking means it could
load the whole file.)
So I'm not out of the woods yet, but I think my next
step is to move up to RedHat 7.1 (or down to jdk 1.2),
unless someone sees another explanation for my xml
file loading problem...
> Thanks,
> Glenn McAllister
> SOMA Networks, Inc.