ant-user mailing list archives

From Don Taylor <>
Subject Re: if and depends in a target
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:42:19 GMT

--- Kai Bartels <> wrote:
> Hi *!
> I just learned by try and error that the tags "if" and "depends" in a
> target don't cooperate the way I expected.
> I expected that, when a target is nor executed because of some if or
> unless
> clause, all dpenedend targets won't be executed, either. But they
> are!
> Is this considered a bug or a feature? :^) What will be the behaviour
> of the
> next Ant release?

Just to clear things up, the depends tasks are executed *first*. After
they are all executed, then the 'if' and 'unless' clauses are
evaluated. Thus it is possible that when executing one of your
dependent targets that it will set a property that will affect your
'if' and 'unless' evaluations.

This is by design.

-- Don

Do You Yahoo!?