ant-user mailing list archives

From "T Master" <tmas...@iknowledgeinc.com>
Subject Re: multiple builds
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:48:12 GMT
I decided to group all my ant .xml files in one directory.
I have a properties file, containing properties to reference each directory,
the names of the jar files to produce.
Each sub-project has its own build file, which can act independent of the
parent (properties are thus not inherited).
However, the parent buildfile, build.xml, may call the subproject files and
their respective targets.

I have worked with other projects where makefiles were scattered into the
directory they were concerned with.  That lead to confusion, headaches in
locating and resolving problems.   Keep it simple, and have your xml files
group together!

Make a template xml file.  Then each project can just modify this for their
own needs.  Simple, then add a call from the parent build.xml file to this
one for say, compiling, jaring and anything else required.

Depending on the XML parser used by Ant, it is better in my opinion to split
projects up due to the memory contraints of creating the model in memory,
hence each sub-project is allowed it's own build file.

Hope that helps.

T Master.