ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: Common path definitions
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 20:04:03 GMT
As I stated before, we're dealing with a situation in which the dev root may vary.  The nastiest
variation is that many of our developer's machines have multiple drives, so their root might
be anything from c: to x:, though d: is the recommended, and anyone (so far) that isn't using
d: is using c:  We have a script that sets all environment variables; however, if the developer
is using the c: as root, they'll have to edit that script by hand.  It's part of the old build
scripts anyway, so we're trying to move away from using it at all.

This also means that Ant could (theoretically) be installed in a different drive from their
source tree (yuck!).

If most of our developers worked on *nix, then I wouldn't want to stick the properties file
in their home directory.  Since all development is done on Win NT, with *nix being the integration/testing/production
environment, I'm not too worried.  The user home in Win NT isn't too scary :-)  I suppose
you could require a particular directory structure to be in place relative to their home directory
(${user.home}/.ant/build.properties).  That wouldn't be too bad on *nix systems.

I'm curious as to how one would derive a user's root in Ant from Visual Source Safe - if this
trick would work, it would take the prize in my book.

Kyle

>>> holtdl@yahoo.com 07/09/01 03:48PM >>>

I can't think of any build-system I've ever worked on that didn't require
having defined somewhere in the environment the root of the workspace you
were working in -- eg., set by an in-house tool you run to "get into" that
workspace (probably the weirdest was one that set up a small OS and
chroot'd you into that :), or set in conjunction with using an SCM tool
(eg., with P4, if you have the client name, you can get the root of the
tree), etc.

But if you didn't have/need any such env-setting, then with Ant, if you've
put your Ant stuff into your SCM (which you should do anyway, since the
tools used to produce a build are just as much a part of the build as the
source), then you should be able to derive the root from the (required)
ANT_HOME.

> On a related note, I hope that ${user.home} (or a similar solution)
> doesn't go away in Ant2.  It's extremely useful variable (as shown
> above) for cross-platform Ant deployment.

I doubt it would go away -- but I personally wouldn't rely on what's in
anyone's home directory (they can be pretty scary places :)