ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: Common path definitions
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 18:46:09 GMT
The problem I ran into with this is that the root, or the drive that development-related stuff
was stored on, changed depending on the user.  For some it was d:, for others c:, and for
others still, plain ol' *nix root ('/').  So the location of their source tree changed.  Which
mean that Ant couldn't count on this file being in any particular location.  So by placing
a properties file in ${user.home}, which Ant could ALWAYS locate, and by setting a ${root}
variable in that properties file, I could bootstrap the main properties file (the one stored
in the source tree).

On a related note, I hope that ${user.home} (or a similar solution) doesn't go away in Ant2.
 It's extremely useful variable (as shown above) for cross-platform Ant deployment.

Kyle

>>> holtdl@yahoo.com 07/09/01 02:31PM >>>
I don't know that I'd recommend having a requirement that a file used in
the production of the build be placed in a user's home directory -- you
can allow for the option of users having a properties file in their home
directory in order to set the value of customizable properties, but you
shouldn't have a requirement that their home directory contains a
properties file necessary to the build. If you have properties files you
include as part of the build, better to have them in the tree the
build-files live in (presumably, your source-tree).