ant-user mailing list archives

From "Samson, Lyndon [IT]" <lyndon.sam...@ssmb.com>
Subject RE: Setting a W2K environment variable from build.xml
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:28:39 GMT
set is internal to cmd.exe|command.com

you could try cmd.exe /c set APP_HOME=c:\apphome

However your set would not persist past the lifetime of the spawned command
processor.

Why do you want to do this? Is it to pass a result back to the batch file
that called ant?

Perhaps you could echo "set APP_HOME=c:\apphome" to a batch file and exec it
after ant finishes?

-----Original Message-----
From: Prabhakar Chaganti [mailto:prabhakar@chaganti.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 3:10 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Setting a W2K environment variable from build.xml

Hi all:

I am using ant version 1.4alpha on Win2K running JDK 1.3.0.

I need to set an environment variable in W2K such as APP_HOME,
before my task executes. This can be done from a shell by doing:
	"set APP_HOME=c:\apphome"

I am trying to use the following fragment to accomplish the same
thing from inside my build.xml:
	    <target name="test">
        		<exec executable="set" os="Windows 2000">
            		<arg line="APP_HOME=c:\apphome" />
        		</exec>
    		</target>

This fails with the following error:
        Execute failed: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: set

		APP_HOME=c:\apphome error=2
        --- Nested Exception ---
        java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: set

			APP_HOME=c:\apphome error=2
                at java.lang.Win32Process.create(Native Method)
                at java.lang.Win32Process.<init>(Win32Process.java:66)
                at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
                at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:551)
                at

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute$Java13CommandLauncher.ex
ec(Execute.java:564)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.execute(Execute.java:384)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExecute(ExecTask.java:2
38)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExec(ExecTask.java:254)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.execute(ExecTask.java:165)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:182)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:568)
                at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:252)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.CallTarget.execute(CallTarget.java:120)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:182)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:568)
                at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:527)
                at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:154)

Can anyone point out what is wrong with the xml. I looked at the list
archives, and some people suggested using a batch file just to set
the environment variables. Is this the only option ?

Any info truly appreciated.

thanks
prabhakar