ant-user mailing list archives

From wolf.siber...@tui.de
Subject RE: ANT and VAJ
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:47:22 GMT
David Trogdon wrote:
> Well ... I have sucessfully used ANT and the ANT Visual Age for Java Plugin.
> I have:
>
> moved projects to the workspace
> created directories
> exported projects in to the directories
> "jared" specific directories
> filtered the exported directories/jar files into the created
> directories
>
> All is well and good and I am to the point (more or less) of takeing my
> build and moveing it into InstallShield for the final disribution package.
>
> But I have some questions about the ANT and VAJ relationship that perhaps
> some one here will know.
>
> First ... it appears that the ANT plugin only deals at the  project level. I
> am wondering if there is any support or planned support for  Solutions? When
> you have 22 or so projects that can change from one version  to the next, it
> is a pain to have to change the script to include the all the project
> versions that have changed. It would sure be nice if you could just move the
> latest Solution to the workspace and that would automatically pick up all
> the current projects.

Currently (in my case VAJ 3.5.2) the VAJ tool API doesn't provide
access to Solutions. When this will improve, it will probably be
pretty straightforward to add Solution support to the vajload task.

> Next  ... it would also be nice if you had the full functionality of the ANT
> command line. Specifically the -Dproperty=value option. With the ability to
> pass a property into the script from the GUI interface of the plugin, you
> should be able to use it to define a build directory structure that might
> include the version name and therefor prevent an older version from being
> overwritten. Again, the only way to work with this currently is to edit the
> script every time you do a new build. Anyone have any info on this?

What I will provide soon is access via the VAJ remote tool server.
This will allow to run Ant from the command line and nonetheless
execute VAJ tasks.
In fact, If You (or anyone else) would like to volunteer as beta tester,
I'd gladly send You the updated sources and an incomplete
documentation.

It is unlikely that the current GUI will be extended, as I favor
the command line approach now.

Wolf