ant-user mailing list archives

From John Brewer <jbre...@jera.com>
Subject Ant on Windows95/98 Tip
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 05:33:46 GMT
I didn't see this in the FAQ, so I thought I'd mention it here:

If you're running Windows 95 or 98, and ant.bat is failing to automatically
set up its classpath for you, it's probably because the path to ANT_HOME
includes a non-DOS-friendly directory name.  For instance, by default, the
binary distribution unpacks to directory "jakarta-ant-1.3", which is more
than 8 characters long.  If you rename the directory to simply "ant", Ant
will be able to find its JAR files on its own.

This happens because the batch file "FOR" command under Windows 95 and 98
is inherited from DOS.  I haven't tried the "FOR" command under Windows
NT/2000, but presumably it's a little more cluefull about long file names.

John Brewer
Jera Design