ant-user mailing list archives

From "Larry V. Streepy, Jr." <stre...@healthlanguage.com>
Subject Re: target as a property
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:22:50 GMT
I will maintain a calm, friendly, debate style tone...

Pete, I am really trying to understand why figuring out all the possible
ways I might use a feature, then determining if you aren't a fan any of
the possible uses, is the right way to determine if a feature should be
in ant.

I'm sure nearly every feature of ant can be used in ways that displease
at least one of the committers.

I'm asking that the committers not try to be the thought police of the
ant user community.  Let us decide how to use the tool.  It is that
after all, a tool.  If I hit myself in the head with a hammer, it's my
fault, not the fault of the hammer manufacturer (current legal evidence
to the contrary not withstanding :-)

I apologize if offended anyone with this email.

Peter Donald wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:26, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Though it could cause some committers to get narky ;)
> >
> > Why?  Do you see any danger in
> >
> > <echo message="Current target is ${ant.current.target}" />
>
> thats fine .. it is the other uses that I don't like. Most people who have
> asked for it have asked for it so that they can do dynamic templating in
> conjunction with antcall. And considering I am not a fan of that approach
> .... ;)
>
> > - or maybe my second guessing of what narky means in German is wrong
> > (the web translators I've tried all failed 8-).
>
> No idea where it comes from but I guess it would generally mean irritable ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Larry V. Streepy, Jr.