ant-user mailing list archives

From "Larry V. Streepy, Jr." <stre...@healthlanguage.com>
Subject Re: javac, depend, and interface constants
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:34:26 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:04, Larry V. Streepy, Jr. wrote:
> > Even declaring them as non-final seems to have no effect.
>
> yer ? hmmm. What compiler are you using and did you make sure you did a full
> rebuild ?

I'm not a JLS guru by any means, but I thought non-final references had
to be left as real references.  Maybe not in the case when you
specifically do something like SomeInterface.someConstant.

I've tried both javac 1.3 and Jikes 1.14.  They both give the same
results. :-(

> > Does anyone have ideas on how to fix, prevent, work around this?
>
> 3 strategies I have used in the past include;
> [snip]

Thanks for providing several alternatives.

We currently use the second method for our enum style classes.  I'll
have to look at using it for basic constants as well.  Method three
certainly works, but requires that the programmer remember to add the
code to force the dependency.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again Pete.

--
Larry V. Streepy, Jr.