ant-user mailing list archives

From "Benjamin Russell Stocum" <bsto...@paychex.com>
Subject Re: Common path definitions
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 19:03:16 GMT
Couldnt you just specify the properties file location with a

ant -DANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION=$ANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION

And then using the <properties/>  tag inside like this

<property environment="${ANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION" />

The users would be responsible for specifying the proper path to the properties file, or like
in my example this could be a system variable that is set for each user in their login shell
scripts.

-Ben

Kyle Adams wrote:

> The problem I ran into with this is that the root, or the drive that development-related
stuff was stored on, changed depending on the user.  For some it was d:, for others c:, and
for others still, plain ol' *nix root ('/').  So the location of their source tree changed.
 Which mean that Ant couldn't count on this file being in any particular location.  So by
placing a properties file in ${user.home}, which Ant could ALWAYS locate, and by setting a
${root} variable in that properties file, I could bootstrap the main properties file (the
one stored in the source tree).

> On a related note, I hope that ${user.home} (or a similar solution) doesn't go away in
Ant2.  It's extremely useful variable (as shown above) for cross-platform Ant deployment.