ant-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Jennings" <southgate.softw...@home.com>
Subject Windows ANT-launcher
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:16:30 GMT
Hi everyone,

I've written a Windows executable called build.exe for launching ant.
If you place build.exe in the $ANTHOME/bin directory, when launched
it will automatically finds any currently installed JDK, adds tools.jar from
$JDK/lib
to the classpath along with all .jar files in $ANTHOME/lib then launch ant.

By putting this executable in $ANTHOME/bin and adding $ANTHOME/bin to the
classpath, I was able to run ant without setting any environment variables.

If anyone wants to check it out, I've posted the source+binaries at:

http://southgatesoftware.com/jakarta/ant/

I've updated the source code so that it works with JDK 1.4,1.3,1.2 etc.
I've also added a feature whereby you don't have to place build.exe in
$ANTHOME/bin
for it to work if you create a build.properties file in the same directory
as build.exe
with an entry that reads:
ant.home=c:\path\to\ant\installation

Also, you can pass special options to the java vm (like -Xmx etc.) by adding
lines
in build.properties that read:
vmoption=-Xmx32m
etc.

The source code now compiles with Borland C++ Builder version 5 and
Microsoft Visual C++ version 6.
It should probably also compile under other WIN32 compilers without too much
tweaking.

-Mike Jennings

Mike Jennings
Southgate  Software Ltd.