ant-user mailing list archives

From "Brett Knights" <br...@knightsofthenet.com>
Subject RE: XSLT (was Re: for-each (another proposal))
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2001 22:17:37 GMT
This is not a detailed answer but I do have a couple of thoughts on this:

You can pretty easily use Ant to run a style task that builds your real buildfile. Then run
an ant task to call that file.
I'd tend to keep my style calling build file pretty simple.

I suspect most of the problems that will arise will have to do with generating parameter references
properly.

To generate a parameter reference I'd suggest something like:

<xsl:variable name="attribVal" select="'${paramName}'"/>
<taskName attrib="$attribVal"/>

There are various reasons you might want to generate an Ant file with XSL but one of the reasons
I suggested embedding the
mini-stylesheet in an Ant file was to have integration with FileSets. Using XSLT to generate
a build file loses this.

Also while I still think Ant could use a dynamic element and that my XSLT proposal is viable
(given the way the world is going
knowing some XSLT would be beneficial for almost anyone working with XML in any fashion) I'd
place a higher priority on having Ant
provide an abstract FileSet aware task that would be the basis for most of the core tasks.

Sorry if this was a little vague. If you have a specific problem you'd like to solve by using
XSLT to create your build file drop me
a line and I'll do my best to provide an example of how it could be tackled.

HTH
Brett Knights