ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant on Windows95/98 Tip
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:20:27 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Brewer" <jbrewer@jera.com>
> I didn't see this in the FAQ, so I thought I'd mention it here:
>
> If you're running Windows 95 or 98, and ant.bat is failing to
automatically
> set up its classpath for you, it's probably because the path to ANT_HOME
> includes a non-DOS-friendly directory name.  For instance, by default,
the
> binary distribution unpacks to directory "jakarta-ant-1.3", which is more
> than 8 characters long.  If you rename the directory to simply "ant", Ant
> will be able to find its JAR files on its own.
>
> This happens because the batch file "FOR" command under Windows 95 and 98
> is inherited from DOS.  I haven't tried the "FOR" command under Windows
> NT/2000, but presumably it's a little more cluefull about long file
names.

John,

You are completely correct about this. Coincidentally I added something
about this to the installation instructions just last week. There are some
options to get the for command to work with long filenames but I have tried
them and the result is hardly much better. So, for Win9X, I believe the
best solution is to install in C:\Ant. I can tell you that the for command
does function under NT4.

Thanks
Conor