ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Ant and java frameworks
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:50:41 GMT
I'm just beginning to learn Ant, with an eye towards replacing my company's batch scripts.
 Our java applications utilize a framework based on a three-tiered model, the three tiers
being a front-end, a proxy, and a back-end.

Any given application developed using this framework must implement the back-end (which contains
most of the business logic), but may or may not implement the top and middle tiers.  In terms
of our source tree, this means that the root directory for an application has between 1-3
subdirectories (one for each tier).  Ideally, I'd like to write an Ant script that would dynamically
adjust to how many of the three tiers are actually implemented in a particular application.

For example, our user management app may only have the back-end implemented.  So the directory
for the app would have only one subdirectory.  On the other hand, our customer management
app may have the front-end and the back-end implemented, so the directory would contain two
directories.

These subdirectories use standard names, so that's not a problem, and there will always be
between 1 and 3.  It's just a matter of how many.

Is it reasonable to ask Ant to do this?  Or should I be looking at another tool (say, a Perl
script) that then passes each subdirectory to Ant?

Kyle